Celery Juice 101
Celery juice – what is the deal?! It has become one the trendiest fads in the health world that people are referring to as the “Global Celery Juice Movement,” but why all the hype?! I am here to shed some light on the healing benefits of celery juice, share my personal experience and also how to make/drink it!
Before diving in, I have to mention Anthony William (aka Medical Medium) because he is responsible for starting the Global Celery Juice Movement. He has a ton of articles, podcast, and books out there that are amazing and provide so much information. I am hoping to offer a glimpse into that and key info that convinced me to try this out!
Right off the bat, I just want to list some of the key benefits and reasons to drink celery juice:
· Decreases inflammation
· Supports weight loss
· Helps to aid and heal digestion
· Reduces bloating
· Helps eczema and psoriasis
· Fights infection
· Helps to prevent UTI’s
· Heals acne
· Prevents high blood pressure
· Helps lower cholesterol
· Helps prevent ulcers improve acid reflux
· Protects liver health and flushes toxins out of the liver
· Fights autoimmune disease
· Helps restore adrenals
I may have already sold you on trying this out, so if that is the case, feel free to skip to the bottom of this post to get clear on how to make and drink this magical juice. But before then, let’s talk (very little, I promise) science.
One of the key takeaways from my reading on celery juice is what the Medical Medium refers to as “cluster salts.” These are the mineral salts found in celery juice, and they act as an antiseptic. When in contact with viruses and bacteria (both of which are responsible for chronic illness), the salts breakdown the pathogen’s cell membrane and destroy them. This ability to tack onto pathogens and destroy them is also why celery juice is said to fight inflammation and autoimmune disease.
These clusters can also rebuild your hydrochloric acid. This helps with many things such as breaking down protein in your stomach (when protein is not broken down it rots in the gut causing bloating). Strong hydrochloric acid also helps with acid reflux and, once again, killing off those pathogens I mentioned before.
Additionally, celery juice increases and strengthens your bile, which is needed for breaking down fats. It also helps with removing toxins and poisons from the liver. Some of these could include heavy metals, and toxic chemicals like pesticides, air fresheners, detergents, and preservatives (things I am sure all of us have been exposed to).
Celery juice also helps to keep your adrenals stable and functioning. Your adrenal glands produce hormones that regulate your metabolism, immune system, blood pressure, response to stress, and more. So I am going to say “YES” in helping support those little glands!
There is a lot of information about celery juice, but I hope these key facts helped out! For me personally, I noticed that is certainly helped with my digestion – something I am always struggling with. It also helped with my energy levels. I find that if I start my day with celery juice, I am not reaching for a cup of coffee. It also really helped with my skin, which is no surprise there given that it was helping with my gut and removing toxins! Lastly, starting my day off in a way that I know is so beneficial for my body, puts me in a healthier and more mindful mentality to then make better decisions throughout my day :)
Now for the juicy part…wink wink…
· Drink 16 ounces every morning on an empty stomach. Medical Medium does suggest 24-30 ounces if you are very sick (i.e. fighting a chronic disease).
· Drink it solo: green juices are great but in order to get all the benefits, celery must be consumed alone (no other ingredients like lemon, lime, ice, etc. they all change the healing benefits).
· Drink it on an empty stomach: first thing in the morning is easiest and it is also recommended because then it will strengthen the digestion of your foods throughout the day. Then wait 15-20 minutes to eat.
· It is not a meal replacement, so definitely eat afterwards. Also, if you do not get to it in the AM, just ensure a window of 20 minutes before and after you consume the juice.
· It is best to have it right after it is made, but if you have to make it ahead of time, just be sure to drink it within 24 hours.
· You will not get the same benefits from eating celery.
· Use organic if possible, otherwise be sure to wash it very well before juicing (and yes, I use organic and still wash it well!).
· If you are sensitive or do not like the taste, you can add cucumber and/or apple and build your tolerance by increasing the ratio of celery gradually. Leaving the leaves of the celery is a personal choice when making the juice – it will not make a difference, but may make it taste more bitter (I personally remove them!).
· Meal prep the celery to save time: clean and cut the celery ahead of time and store in fridge.
· FYI: A change in bowl movements may occur and is an extremely normal detox reaction to the juice. The juice is killing off unproductive bacteria in the gut and purging the liver, so it may cause loose stool, slight nausea or gas. Ensure you are straining the juice when making it (aka no pulp - my juicer does this automatically but some may not), and definitely eat within the timeframe after because I found if I do not, I got a little nauseous.
· 1 bunch of celery (usually makes 16oz)
· Rinse the celery and run it through a juicer. Drink immediately for best results
· Alternatively, you can chop the celery and blend it in a high-speed blender until smooth. Don’t add water or ice for the greatest healing benefits, use only celery. Strain the blended celery well through a fine mesh strainer, cheesecloth or nut milk bag and drink immediately (these will also automatically not allow the pulp through).
· The mesh strainer, cheesecloth or nut milk bag could all be purchased from Amazon and here is a video to show you how to make the juice in a blender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wYKiRwg-A
If you have any questions you can always head over to my Connect page or comment below!